The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.ce0b7caa6584effd0e77e58fda1e830d.png

12th season update 

We end up having a freak season and finish in 4th place, I got a good start to the season and rode the wave all year, great morale no moaning all year etc.

My chairman instantly decides to unsettle the team by selling my rb for 800k (I don't have a replacement)

Also sells my best cm for 800k. Nothing worse than having a money hungry chairman selling my players for peanuts:seagull:

Good new though as I win the first silverware in the clubs history winning the Chinese Cup.

image.png.7adfea02896b7c07492412b2272d95ac.png

Managed to get a couple more upgrades but the intakes have remained poor, Maybe one of the experts can tell me how it works with quality of upgrades compared to the nation rating etc. I would say I'm getting English league two quality players with exceptional coaching and facilities. I know club rep can play a part but will I continue to get poor players because I'm in China? 

image.png.364eb21d1bdb1d5f3a84d4201d86aea4.png

Hopefully things will pick up as quite frankly these poor intakes every year are just getting a bit grim and eventually I'm going to end up getting relegated

1 hour ago, DomD said:

@mpm2342 Neil Smith is ridiculous! Too bad about the fickle personality. Have you had any luck changing those through mentoring?

I have had some luck with mentoring and have a couple of mentors on the job already who can boost the negative parts of fickle.  Hoping it works, though a fickle personality can still grow fine, he just won't want to hang around with high ambition and low loyalty.
Screenshot2024-10-21141135.thumb.png.4f4b37b2c77e1a719cbc65596c20a9bc.png

39 minutes ago, mpm2342 said:

I have had some luck with mentoring and have a couple of mentors on the job already who can boost the negative parts of fickle.  Hoping it works, though a fickle personality can still grow fine, he just won't want to hang around with high ambition and low loyalty.
Screenshot2024-10-21141135.thumb.png.4f4b37b2c77e1a719cbc65596c20a9bc.png

He is a great player and to be fair fickle isn't the worst personality, slightly positive to my way of thinking. How do you work our the hidden attribute average since i thought Fickle has a loyalty of 4-6

Edited by Thebaker

On 19/10/2024 at 17:55, Weed07 said:

Workington Reds  - Challenge Complete

Firstly I want to apologise for a lack of updates, I posted my first season update but then just started blasting though seasons and I kept meaning to post some updates but kept putting them off and then as the seasons went on I had too much to update and wasn't sure how best to do it, individual season updates seemed daunting to write up so I put them off more and now I've completed the challenge without posting any updates so again apologies for not updating as the save went on.

Anyhow, now its complete I figured I would do a write up on what's happened.

So, the save started off ok with a 13th placed finish in the Conference North in the first season and the second we were worse as we finished lower in 15th place but then in the 3rd season we managed to finish 2nd missing out on top place on goal difference but we did win the playoffs so it only took 3 seasons to get promoted from the bottom division.

The Conference National however wasn't as easy, we finished 20th in the first year surviving on the last day on goal difference, then 16th where we again survived on the last day, we finished 16th again the season after but surviving with a few games to go before a surprise 7th placed finish but losing in the playoff first round and then it was back to surviving relegation with only 1 game to go as we finished 19th.

At this point I was wondering how we were going to progress, we had played 8 seasons but had every request to improve facilities, recruitment and coaching rejected and our intakes were rubbish but we then had a takeover and the new owners agreed to invest in youth recruitment and junior coaching, just what we needed. The first season after the takeover we finished 17th and also had youth and training facilities upgraded, the season after we finished 7th and had our youth recruitment and coaching increased twice and we were starting to see the benefits as our intakes were getting better and after 8 seasons in the Conference National league we finished 2nd and won the playoffs and after 13 years we had made it to the football league.

I thought at this point things would get harder but actually that didn't happen, as we went full time and we continued improving facilities our players attributes started shooting up and in our first season in League Two we finished 19th but were never in danger of relegation and we maxed out our youth recruitment. I also decided to change tactics to an attacking tactic because we were getting better attacking players than defensive players and I decided we would just try to score more than we conceded and it work as the next year we finished 2nd and got promoted scoring 108 goals 40 more than the previous season.

This is the tactic I created and used from this point forward, I trained my players for the roles rather than switch roles for the players

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.3538a8c3bb67bd6e5eed9b52bf1c6254.png

Our first season in League One, like in League two we were never in danger of relegation and finished 14th, we maxed out our junior coaching and made £5m through player sales which was much needed as we were losing a couple of million a year mostly through the youth set up. Then like in League Two we pushed on and got another 2nd placed finish to gain promotion in only our second season at this level.

Our first season in the Championship continued how our last ended as teams couldn't cope with our attack and we scored 127 goals, we also conceded 71 as out tactics of just scoring more worked better than expected and with 2 games to go we were top with the title in our hands but we bottled it and ended up finished 2nd but at the first time in this league we were promoted and we have now gone from the Conference North to the Premiership without winning a league, we had finished 2nd in every season we were promoted, we hadn't done anything in any cup either as all focus had been on the league games.

By now I couldn't believe how easy it had been going up the leagues after going full time, every year I expected us to struggle but we overachieved and I was convinced we would have problems in the Premiership but it didn't happen as in our first season we finished 11th, then in our second season we managed to finish 5th and won the FA Cup, our first ever trophy. The 5th place finish also got us a place in the Champions League as England were given an extra place.

In our third season I again thought it would be hard as we now had the Champions League to manage too but again we done better than expected, much better in fact as in the league we finished 3rd and were in the title run right until the last game of the season but even better we won the Champions League, I don't know how but we avoided the best teams and had some massive wins, I thought we were out when Arsenal beat us 4-1 away in the quarter final first leg but we often scored goals for fun and beat them 5-1 at home after extra time, we also lost 2-1 away to Porto in the semi but had won the first leg at home 3-1 so got to the final where we beat Inter 2-0 but it could have been more as we dominated the game and we won the Champions League at the first time playing in it and it seemed too easy.

Then the next season we completed the challenge as we won the league, it went to the last few games and with 2 to play in was between us and Arsenal with them having the advantage as they were ahead of us on goal difference but they dropped points away to relegated Wolves throwing away a 2 goal lead to draw so our win took us top and we won our last game to confirm the league win, we lost in the Champions League semi that season but with the previous seasons win and now the league win that completes the challenge.

Its taken 20 seasons but we won the Champions League in 2043 and the Premiership in 2044 and I honestly thought it would take a lot longer, I'm surprised at how easy it got once we went full time, it took us longer to get out of the conference leagues (11 years) than it did to go from League Two to Premiership winners (9 years).

There was a couple of things that helped:

1) despite playing FM for over 30 years, I didn't realise how big an impact resting players between games has, I've always rotated players but I've found during this save that if there are 4 or less days between games that resting my starting 11 from training between games meant they would be fit for the next game, this meant that I was able to play my best 11 every game except for injuries which was good because outside out best 15 players we didn't have a lot of quality.

2) with not spending money on signings I pumped all money into wages and I kept renewing my best players contracts each year giving them a pay rise to sign for 5 years plus 3 year club options so that I could keep them and ward off any interest, I also used the tricks with either getting the DOF to negotiate a contract and then changing it myself to remove release clauses by giving them a lot more money or talking to the agents and removing non negotiables from it which meant I rarely had to give release clauses at a cost of higher wages but it meant I didn't lose many players I wanted to keep.

I also think that playing an attacking tactic worked better than it should because every season we were favourites to finish bottom and our reputation lagged behind our ability which I think means teams will be more likely to attack us thinking we are an easy win which plays into our tactic of just trying to outscore teams rather than trying to defend as we can exploit the space they leave in their defence attacking us.

Overall this has been one of my favourite ever saves and something I didn't think I would be able to achieve having tried and failed several times before.

Heres some spreadsheet data:

Club Info:

Hide contents

image.png.e465527fdd05e56fb9dbb509a17b3a66.png

Season info:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.b37acd6d301a9e47d200fa701e34b98e.png

image.png.e2d931daa5377d1930f6c0720e8af13a.png

Manager info:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.b2fdd328ceaadc9625b104e746b59bcc.png

Manager profile and history:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.d06c9c6f9a04287f2cf0d1c8ee4a2847.png

image.thumb.png.c0597b65b0382d42c44b4146ed8cdf1b.png

My best players:

Hide contents

GK and our only Wonderkid

image.thumb.png.4bf3077160bafe73d5a74f7190c48ef1.png

Best centre back

image.thumb.png.d44313e6a54d923aa4fb46a1ba59411a.png

Our captain and dlp

image.thumb.png.172e3cfc0e46725b9d21f17ac8802e67.png

Our dm

image.thumb.png.4dbcb795b34ec8c5c8dda22751c38a1c.png

Our vice captain and goal scoring attacking midfielder

image.thumb.png.6d52a17ee01fd42b93c2c11d81007914.png

Our striker, won NxGN award 1st place and Golden Boy

image.thumb.png.31752752c69fd9b5cede882718747e4d.png

The rest of the players are average, decent players but nothing special

I want to shout out to this player, hes the first player I have ever had thats played at every level for a club i've managed, hes the first thats played over 500 games ever for me and he has scored at every level too. He came in the first intake and was our star striker for a lot of years.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.bbf2baeea7cfc29c8fb22acd515447fe.png

image.thumb.png.10e48578b7c961154f63113eb2085c92.png

To summarise, I've loved this save, I'm actually a little disappointed that it ended a lot sooner than I thought it would and it seemed to get too easy, much easier than I expected it to be and I'm not sure where to go from here, I might continue playing it as youth only, I may start signing players or I might retire the save and try something new but I'm pleased I have been able to complete it, especially with a club thats local to me.

Edit - Forgot to add screenshots of the wins so added below:

Hide contents

image.png.c08d396164fa61309336bfcc2297604d.png

image.png.2e888e599e5c991f5a75f3a25b59a38f.png

image.png.01b7321ca1d2895cdbbed2fc088c2382.png

image.png.0f6b09be7e0f9dce637929f95b263347.png

image.thumb.png.fd91f9b16117cb2174ea8d082e329e3f.png

i like the Litherland 25A story, great that you kept him in the squad and he scored in the championship and EPL :)

good job! 

48 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

i thought Fickle has a loyalty of 4-6

I have fickle with loyalty of 1-14, but could well be wrong on that one.

Agreed as well, fickle is a decent to good personality for me as ambition can drive the growth.,,, provided they stick around

30 minutes ago, mpm2342 said:

Agreed as well, fickle is a decent to good personality for me as ambition can drive the growth.,,, provided they stick around

I think fickle is okish, Unambitious is the one I hate they just never get going 

44 minutes ago, mpm2342 said:

I took determination and ranges of ambition and professionalism for each personality and came up with a lower and upper “drive” value. Then ranked my squad by these values to tell me who was most likely to develop.

MATERA

Season 2 Mid-Season Update

December 2025

Serie C - Group C

Things are going way better than expected, if we don't experience another morale disasterclass in the locker room we should stay easily in the current division. After 19 games out of 38, we have 32 points, 1 less than we had last season at the END, and our pacey winger Danzi is currently our top assist, with 5.

Also the teams that get promoted from the unplayable Serie D, like Brindisi and Latina  this year, are pretty weak so it makes it easier for us to just survive for these first seasons.

Off the pitch our first Youth Facilities improvement is almost completed and the board is paying for my licenses, currently studying for the National A one.

Also got our Youth Intake preview and we might get a decent keeper by the looks of it, with another "golden generation" flagged preview

.XDL7L7L.png

r8SKN9y.png

0WU9DjF.png

Time to go to work in the real world now :D 

15 hours ago, djsterry said:

12th season update 

We end up having a freak season and finish in 4th place, I got a good start to the season and rode the wave all year, great morale no moaning all year etc.

My chairman instantly decides to unsettle the team by selling my rb for 800k (I don't have a replacement)

Also sells my best cm for 800k. Nothing worse than having a money hungry chairman selling my players for peanuts:seagull:

Good new though as I win the first silverware in the clubs history winning the Chinese Cup.

image.png.7adfea02896b7c07492412b2272d95ac.png

Managed to get a couple more upgrades but the intakes have remained poor, Maybe one of the experts can tell me how it works with quality of upgrades compared to the nation rating etc. I would say I'm getting English league two quality players with exceptional coaching and facilities. I know club rep can play a part but will I continue to get poor players because I'm in China? 

image.png.364eb21d1bdb1d5f3a84d4201d86aea4.png

Hopefully things will pick up as quite frankly these poor intakes every year are just getting a bit grim and eventually I'm going to end up getting relegated

13th season update 

Unfortunately I was correct and the season ends in relegation, just one of them seasons that I couldn't make anyone happy.

Dressing room was basically in revolt and I was lucky to cling on to my job. 

I'm going to take this opportunity to clear out a few players and rebuild with better personalities in the squad. 

I really need a cm to come through that's what killed me last year after the chairman sold my cm I just got destroyed in the midfield.

Nazarenos Season review 2024/2025

image.png.9e9481b2e6e82359ab4848ed6b167928.png

Finances | Supporters | Transfers

First Team

image.png.d002412887168d873ae5e2daa2d485ca.png

Fixtures part 1 | Fixtures part 2 | Position graph

First season has come and gone and things went great. A fourth place finish in our first season in the fourth tier. 

Things didn't start smoothly, we were second to last after 15 matches. I began to have some doubts if we could salvage the season. But we found our groove then. we went six wins in a row and eight unbeaten to finish a comfortable 11 poits above the relegation zone.

image.png.a329de0f923641360c38e21fcd2090c1.png

The cup was over before it truly started.

image.png.9de7ebea663307e403636ff9781134fe.png

These were the guys to do it. with special mentions for:

Francisco Mota: best player this season

Gonçalo Estrela: (shared) topscorer

Andre Carvalho: most assists

Youth Team

image.png.5e99d54ca3ba2243846ac9148b8c4cab.png

The U19s had a good season. Especially considering there were only 5 non-grey players in the team

image.png.9533f4ce387398c93a5a6cdf7be5ddb2.png

image.thumb.png.8f3b511464d0f9d161ea69dac8afa7b5.png

25A | 25B | 25C | 25D | 25E | 25F | 25G | 25H | 25I | 25J | 25K | 25L | 25M | 25N | 25O | 25P

The Youth Preview was great and the result didn't disappoint. Lopes 25C will go directly to the first team. Hopefully I can get his determination up.

personal

No facility upgrades this season, but I did get up to a national B license and am studying for my A

image.png.2ccf55be644657770332c3a25b7b268c.png

image.png.1f86b29a217b771f4e9287c5523d43c4.png

Summary

image.thumb.png.32020a8fc326c463b5d467e54ff203b0.png

19 minutes ago, Traldon said:

How do i get my badges, if my board always says this?

image.png.af0c268892f512828a6f9e05b1941a82.png

Generally you just have to keep trying, eventually they buckle.

Now that you know the board are like this (sometimes they are very agreeable to it and never refuse it) wait for the right tune to ask the next time. If you get board performance as B+ or higher I find that’s a good time to ask.

1 hour ago, Traldon said:

How do i get my badges, if my board always says this?

image.png.af0c268892f512828a6f9e05b1941a82.png

depends on what their feedback rating of you is, i tend to only ask for things when its at A and preferably the finances are in the black as well.

53 minutes ago, HbG93 said:

A weaker intake this time around. Cantamessa 38a is one too keep an eye out for as I would love more left-footed defenders in my team. Kusi 38b has a good personality, and could become a handy specialized advanced forward. I'm really hoping for more wingers in the future, as it's easily our list competitive area.

If you are looking for wingers I would say train Kusi there as looks like he could develop nicely in that position.

1 hour ago, Skora11 said:

If you are looking for wingers I would say train Kusi there as looks like he could develop nicely in that position.

Yup,  dry good shout with the pace, dribbling and near double figure crossing.

14th season update 

Straight back up in first place, a mini clearout, a new captain and vice captain changed the club.

image.png.67ecae36481b0578b71f68844949771b.png

My best player has just signed a new contract and things are looking a bit more positive for the cub, 

Hopefully can keep this group together and add to the poor defence, very short at lw as well.

Lets hope I can stay up this year

7 hours ago, Thebaker said:

@XaW good progress, what HYOD do you have to keep getting these 4 or 5 star players through. Also is it just me or are there seemingly more welsh players coming through and less other nations?

Yeah, I think the reason is that most of my players are only rated as good for the tier below, and I’ve increased the youth coaching to max already. Most of the players will never be able to play for us even with 5 star potential.

And, yes, we are getting more Welsh players than before, but I have no idea why…

Might be a few days before I post more, as I going on a short vacation.

7 hours ago, Thebaker said:

@Padders i hope you can stay up this time.

Its a shame you never recorded youth nationalities, i reckon you must have had over half the countries possible come through.

Can't see it :rolleyes:

Yet again stupid results, dominate games and don't win, last minute goals conceded :rolleyes:

No wins in 10 :(

Out in L1 Banbury in the cup

image.png.923b3e2b96fe9bd2e15b8f7874d99bfb.png

image.png.89ff954c2e8c99034d85b68efdb5c61e.png

Reading only point in 9

image.png.a3d8580f3a0efde66ca47b41d7f32235.png

96th min to lose the game

image.png.9de5f803d2612927a70dd7c114237201.png

Battered Fleetwood and drew

image.png.420efb0e2433789ebfc36bfd527dd556.png

First Youth Intake Time

image.png.6d32b8682f89d73c988b38058ae828c8.png

Pretty decent tbh, Cris Seaborne might be a good Inside Forward for a few years

image.thumb.png.1acb34bcd8e3dd8e1ff5208075d55737.png

Also say hello to our only keeper for the next year, no more greyed outs

image.thumb.png.bbc120b4743e6ee307033f2faccf078b.png

I am gonna sign everyone tho, just to boost the numbers, and maybe some of them are useful

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Neo_Geo:

@Padders how can you not be tempted by a new save by now?

Is it just impossible for you to give up after all this time?

Why should he give up? To be honest he is the only guy who has some interesting challenge here at the moment. Its supposed to be a challenge thats the point of it all. I would stop the save if i would be one of these guys with 8 or 13 elite talents because whats the point then- when you have so many talents every player in the world would complete the challenge in the next few years, where is the fun in that? Winski will win the Champions League in the next 2 or 3 years because thats always the same pattern when you came this far. Its actually already done at this point. Or the people who have already completed it multiple times. I would actually congratulate Padders for having by far the most interesting save. :-)

Edited by Defensive

31 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Why should he give up? To be honest he is the only guy who has some interesting challenge here at the moment. Its supposed to be a challenge thats the point of it all. I would stop the save if i would be one of these guys with 8 or 13 elite talents because whats the point then- when you have so many talents every player in the world would complete the challenge in the next few years, where is the fun in that? Winski will win the Champions League in the next 2 or 3 years because thats always the same pattern when you came this far. Its actually already done at this point. Or the people who have already completed it multiple times. I would actually congratulate Padders for having by far the most interesting save. :-)

I think you probably misread the tone of my post, I'm just amazed at his lasting power for going so long, I'm curious if the thought has crossed his mind as I'd never have had the lasting power to go probably even 10% as long.

It is the one post that when it comes up we all hope that its good news of promotion and staying in the premier league.

EDIT: I was in two minds to post this bit however I think that your points about "Every player in the world would complete the challenge" and "Its actually already done at this point" is perhaps a little unfair and belittles the achievements of completing the challenge.

Edited by Neo_Geo

33 minutes ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Whoever else said they hate unambitious personalities, I’m in agreement. 

I’ve got a couple of youngsters who’ve been with the club for a few years now but I can’t mentor them and they just won’t improve. Not giving up on them yet but suspect at 19/20 they may well be a lost cause. 

unambitious is poor but when combined with low determination rarely do the players improve.

15th season update 

Excellent season where I finished 2nd to the MIGHTY Beijing, relegation really helped the team and I come back with a bang

Beijing will be tough to topple though 

image.png.02125d7da48a992dd0aebdb4bf888473.png

Youth Intakes have improved I'd say I'm getting one good player per intake now, Villa Dalmine this is not:lol:

But the standard in the league isn't the same I have 3/4 good players in the team now and 2-3 decent with 4 pub players.

Any injuries or suspensions to the good players and I tend to lose so I need some better squad players coming through.

Gao Wenda is my best player by a long stretch

image.thumb.png.e1b993cb2b75e2e32e72988f65cc5eb4.png

But then my best defender is

image.thumb.png.d5b66e8fc0bedbe70501cb5800e543c7.png

So very much a mixed bag in terms of quality.

The usual grumbles are coming out from the players, not enough depth in certain positions and think they need to be playing with better players etc.

I will hold them until they give in and sign a new contract or sell very last minute as my red finances swallow up any sales anyway.

Facilities need an upgrade but that will have to wait.

lets see what the next season holds

4 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Whoever else said they hate unambitious personalities, I’m in agreement. 

I’ve got a couple of youngsters who’ve been with the club for a few years now but I can’t mentor them and they just won’t improve. Not giving up on them yet but suspect at 19/20 they may well be a lost cause. 

Yeah it was me, I have got to the point where I will rarely take them unless the stats look unreal from the start. Id much rather have a mercenary etc. 

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Neo_Geo:

@Padders how can you not be tempted by a new save by now?

Is it just impossible for you to give up after all this time?

Separates the men from boys :cool:

Edit: I am also in two minds posting this. I don’t care much about how anybody is taking the challenge and I have tons of respect for those finishing it. It is the most challenging way to play this game, especially England or all those worldwide minor leagues but I won’t distinguish between anyhow. I’d like to see some of those superstars like @Rashidi or @crusadertsar doing it :D 
but (please forgive) there is a voice in my mind which does say sometimes, “oh come on, stick to your save man, take the challenge.”
But I know it’s somehow unfair because the fun is the most important part. In the end all those stories are different and really impressive in their own way. The Earl wouldn’t mind anyway. :ackter:

Edited by HanziZoloman