The FM22 Youth Academy Challenge

9 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Ugh I know, rather than it just being spend 120M to buy a slot in the MLS see teams like Union Omaha get rewarded with promotion for embarrassing MLS sides and dominating their league.  

What's funny is the concept of earning it instead of buying it would resonate very well here I think. At least I can enjoy the fact that my local(ish) team, the Philadelphia Union, have developed into a really good organization. (localish in that they play in Chester, south of Philadelphia and I live in suburbs north of Philadelphia. my closest team in that Zealand DB would be the Bethlehem Steel)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PequenoGenio said:

One more question: the @Daveincid files. It's ok to use them or not?

If its the realism pack then this might be a problem because he says he has altered lots of things that can have quite a big impact on this type of save, like nation youth ratings.  I haven't used one of his rebalancing db since FM20, but in my opinion the changes he makes are generally sound and not intended to give an advantage to any teams/leagues/nations etc., but rather just to correct what look to be some anomalies in the vanilla db and fill gaps etc.

One for the gaffers... @darren1983 @XaW

spacer.png

2023 Season Youth Candidates

Not good is the only way to describe it

spacer.png

I did get some pure strikers which isn't bad, but I don't think any of these are going to have a huge impact on the first XI.  I need to give my HoDY at least 3 years to see if anything good comes through though.  

Season Preview

spacer.png

Not too bad all things considered.  While I am expected to go down the odds aren't terrible across the board.  

XV8aIz0.png

2025/26 Season Review:

KsJuiiF.png

PRwfIlT.png

9P6sBne.png

This season the terrible form stretch happened in the second half. Jan was fine, only one loss, but lots of draws. It was the precursor. February 7th, a 1-0 win, was the teams last win of the season. All draws and losses for the rest of the season. If not for the solid first half we'd have been relegated. I tried a few tactic variations, played virtually everyone. It just didn't matter. We also went out early in the cups which hurts financially. Fortunately the new board member/owner has pumped a few hundred K to keep the team afloat.

hCyrPj9.png

OSz2mWl.png

It's $74,317 not $74. I'll fix it, but too lazy to recapture. The cash injections have been enough to get coach classes approved for the whole staff, but not enough for any other upgrades.

Youth Intake:

tGZsO8c.png

HSeSAEK.png

The strongest, current ability intake we've had. The context is these players are at best National League South standard. Most are standard for the league below. The player quality on the squad makes the stars misleading. I'm certainly not complaing about getting better players than I currently have though.

2026/27 Season Preview:

FPffRbX.pngXzZPT9M.png

uP9OgQs.png

oUhRN3Y.png

Basically the plan is to survive. Most of the expensive legacy players are gone. Just three left. I'm hoping saving the money will help keep finances positive without needing the injections and hopefully I can start investing soon. 

3 hours ago, Daddy said:

What's funny is the concept of earning it instead of buying it would resonate very well here I think. At least I can enjoy the fact that my local(ish) team, the Philadelphia Union, have developed into a really good organization. (localish in that they play in Chester, south of Philadelphia and I live in suburbs north of Philadelphia. my closest team in that Zealand DB would be the Bethlehem Steel)

Yeah from the fan perspective for sure, just wasn't financially viable initially hence why they have the single-entity mess.

Your distance to Union reminds me of when I lived on the north side in Chicago and the Fire played in Bridgeview. Sure it was my city but it was probably 1.5-2 hours in the car each way to the game as it was on the full other side of the city w/o mass transit linkups. Only reasonable way to go to the stadium was to do pub-to-pitch packages from Chicago bars that bus you both ways. That stadium is so dumb, basically bankrupted the town too and Fire's new owners paid millions just to leave and go back to Solider Field. They would be a team that would be forced to get their act together cause you know they would get relegated, at least once instead they go out and spend stupid high salary for Shaqiri because of the DP player financing *Rant over*

I'm in Madison now so we have a League 1 side, who i saw last night and they pack over 4k into a tight 5k stadium every match so its a fun atmosphere even if they aren't MLS level quality.   

7 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Yeah from the fan perspective for sure, just wasn't financially viable initially hence why they have the single-entity mess.

Your distance to Union reminds me of when I lived on the north side in Chicago and the Fire played in Bridgeview. Sure it was my city but it was probably 1.5-2 hours in the car each way to the game as it was on the full other side of the city w/o mass transit linkups. Only reasonable way to go to the stadium was to do pub-to-pitch packages from Chicago bars that bus you both ways. That stadium is so dumb, basically bankrupted the town too and Fire's new owners paid millions just to leave and go back to Solider Field. They would be a team that would be forced to get their act together cause you know they would get relegated, at least once instead they go out and spend stupid high salary for Shaqiri because of the DP player financing *Rant over*

I'm in Madison now so we have a League 1 side, who i saw last night and they pack over 4k into a tight 5k stadium every match so its a fun atmosphere even if they aren't MLS level quality.   

Not sure if other countries abuse their citizens they way American sports teams do with stadium financing, but it should be a crime. I love the Madison kits, I've seen a bunch, they're very creative looking. For me to get to the Chester, where the Union play, it's a 90 minute drive. If they played at the Linc in South Philly it'd still be a an hour plus. Traffic sucks, and our public transportation here is awful. My one visit to Chicago almost 20 years ago left me impressed with their transit system. (I saw Ozzfest 2004 I think it was)

26 minutes ago, Daddy said:

Not sure if other countries abuse their citizens they way American sports teams do with stadium financing, but it should be a crime. I love the Madison kits, I've seen a bunch, they're very creative looking. For me to get to the Chester, where the Union play, it's a 90 minute drive. If they played at the Linc in South Philly it'd still be a an hour plus. Traffic sucks, and our public transportation here is awful. My one visit to Chicago almost 20 years ago left me impressed with their transit system. (I saw Ozzfest 2004 I think it was)

Chicago has a good (for US) transit system. The issue is where they built the stadium. Its South West of the city on the other side of the Midway Airport, which is the terminus of the Orange Elevated Line. So you have to take the train to the airport and then wait for event busses to drive you another 20-30 min to the stadium. So it is technically do-able by public transit, just not pleasant in my experience if you're from the north side.

Yeah I agree the public stadium funding is deplorable. Wisconsin essentially took money out of the Universities to fund the Bucks new stadium. Sure its nice (been to a couple concerts there) and they used it to 'revitalize' the deer district, but its hard to see its 250M couldn't have been better allocated. And that's nothing compared to the Football Stadium projects. Chicago is begging the bears to stay putting out 2.2B renovation proposals to keep them, which is nuts and then there's the whole Buffalo stadium project. The leagues here are set up so teams can put pressure on cities that 'we'll leave if you don't make us stay'. At least the MLS is getting over their soccer specific stadium agenda, so we can see more teams ground-sharing in existing NFL stadiums. 

Madison's marketing and merchandizing is exceptional, and the 3rd kits look as good in person as you'd think. It helps when the ownership group includes a Bucks Owner and a couple Minor League Baseball owners who built it up from the start with great gear. Its hard not to stop in the shop and pick something up after the match...

Edited by WhiteCat33

All images

Season 2025/26 - Super League 2

We found our level here in the second division.  A small blip towards the end of the season didnt ruin what was a strong year for the club, meaning we're back in the top division where I no doubt think will put in a better performance than last time!

2070357008_2022-08-26(1).png.442fda62f60a46657d01564495e4804f.png

Strong preview again:

275007010_2022-08-25(8).png.a2b337e285dc2b58020f945884fef9b8.png

Good intake however personalities arent as good as last years:

2022-08-26.png.9d2bdce762bd54ea25a52aac6705e264.png

Oikonomopoulos (defined as top of the economy) has good physicals for this level in a position that is badly needed:

2022-08-26 (2).png

Edited by SkiIIs

So after 3 weeks of holiday in which I played quite a lot actually but with limited access to internet, here's a triple year update from

spacer.png

Season 4 - 6 (2025/2026, 2026/2027, 2027/2028) (all images)

Season 4 (2. Liga): way back in season 3 we manage to finish a decent 5th place in the 2. Liga, which actually was a disappointment after finishing 3rd and missing out on the Bundesliga through the play-offs in the 2nd season. This year however, everything went according to plan. Half-way the season we were tied for first place with Fortuna Dusseldorf and I was quite encouraged by our overall play. We managed to keep up the good form throughout the remainder of the season, sadly missing out on the title on the last day but gaining straight promotion to the Bundesliga nonetheless. Our overall good form was underlined by winning both the German U17 Player of the Year (Yura is from my 2024 Youth Intake) and the German U19 Player of the Year (Baar from the 2023 Youth Intake, Schubert in 2nd place is from the 2022 Youth Intake). My Youth Intake from this year finally included a very promising striker as well as a promising GK, which will come in handy in the long term when my current GK starts declining.

Honorable mention: my man Schubert, from the Class of '22, has won the European Golden Boy for his performances in this season!

Season 5 (Bundesliga): my first season in the Bundesliga wasn't going to be an easy one. After a decent pre-season we only managed to win 1 in our first 6 matches, which had me dangling somewhere around the relegation zone. I remember I played around a lot with our tactic, since the one we used in the 3. & 2. Liga simply wouldn't cut it here - we played a Vertical Tiki Taka, which is all well and nice playing against lesser and slightly better teams, but we were now facing teams way beyond our capabilities. I did stick to the Vertical Tiki Taka, but switched back from using wingers (too offensive) to playing with a larger midfield and running backs. This turned out well over the course of the season and we found ourselves at a decent 14th place, a whopping 12 points clear of the relegation zone. I continued to play a lot of youngsters and received credit for my work once again: the German U17 Player of the Year (1st place Lenz (Class of '26), 2nd place Miller (Class of '25)) and the German U19 Player of the Year (Kammlott, Class of '23) were once again mine.

Honorable mention: further proof of Lenz' quality came when he was voted NxGn # 1 - he's labelled the 'new Jürgen Klinsmann', so curious to see how he'll turn out.

Season 6 (Bundesliga): I hoped to build on last year's decent finish and was strengthened in that belief by our perfect pre-season (6 friendlies, 2 draws and 4 wins). Our start however was identical to last year with only one win and I was starting to fidget with my tactics again. Wingers, no wingers? 3 man midfield, or 2 man with a AMC? 4 or 5 defenders? My players are so versatile that I can play any number of tactics, but what was the right one? My lack of goal-scoring really troubled me, but whatever I tried, I couldn't get them firing. But then of course, a Vertical Tiki Taka isn't meant to score tons of goals, only to wait patiently for a clear cut chance - and my conversion rates are with the top of the league. I finally decided to stick to one formation: a 4-1-3-2 DM Narrow, with a marauding wing back on the left (Kammlott, Class of '23, retrained from Winger to Wing Back), compensated with a Carrilero on the MCL, and a Mezzala on the RCM combined with a defensive back on the right. This formation seemed to work, as we started picking up narrow wins, a lot of draws and only a few losses (and we weren't completely destroyed by Bayern, Dortmund and the likes). We finished a very promising 10th, once again 12 points clear from the relegation zone but also only 7 points below the European Places. As a testimony to our continued Youth Development, we won the German U19 Player of the Year for a 3rd time in a row, this time with Yura, who had won the U17-version in Season 4. My Youth Intake keeps on flourishing and giving me talents, very curious to see who'll turn out to be a real star in years to come.

Honorable mention: Tim Lenz, NxGn #1, the 'new Jürgen Klinsmann'... I'm starting to have my doubts if he's really all that. He's stats have not been going up as much as I'd hoped, but he did manage to score a whopping 18 goals this season in 33 matches which, for a 17/18 year old playing for a relegation candidate is very decent indeed.

Facilities: these are become really insane... I've got Excellent Youth Facilities, Excellent Academy Coaching and Exceptional Youth Recruitment - which is on par with AFC AJAX and only slightly below Benfica (they have State of the Art Youth Facilities). Currently work is being done on our Training Facilities which should help us out as well. Our brand new stadium (built in 2024) is now being expanded already since we had a 99% sell-out ratio last year - no surprises there.

Proof of no Transfer In

15 hours ago, JAwtunes said:

If its the realism pack then this might be a problem because he says he has altered lots of things that can have quite a big impact on this type of save, like nation youth ratings.  I haven't used one of his rebalancing db since FM20, but in my opinion the changes he makes are generally sound and not intended to give an advantage to any teams/leagues/nations etc., but rather just to correct what look to be some anomalies in the vanilla db and fill gaps etc.

One for the gaffers... @darren1983 @XaW

Firstly sorry for late response, am away currently so not really checking forums right now, but with regards to the question I've not seen or looked into the files enough to really understand what they do but if they change things like nations youth ratings then I'm leaning towards them not being eligible for this challenge. Unless @XaW has some experience with it and knows more than me I'm gonna say they can't be used for now.

I don't normally post you youth intake when it comes in, but I have been getting so pi**ed off with my crap team and constant dips in form that I was so chuffed to see we actually have some players that can instantly increase the quality of our first 11.  Also, first time I remember getting two GKs in my intake.

image.thumb.png.6a6c62afa127a8d3f84d207168dddd2a.png

this intake has softened the blow of me falling out with my captain. I kind of lost my cool and fined him 2 weeks wages for yet another crap performance (5.7 this time).  He didn't take it well... so his days are now numbered!

image.thumb.png.2999b69bf9d2ee16ee49c2c218cf2979.png

19 minutes ago, JAwtunes said:

I don't normally post you youth intake when it comes in, but I have been getting so pi**ed off with my crap team and constant dips in form that I was so chuffed to see we actually have some players that can instantly increase the quality of our first 11.  Also, first time I remember getting two GKs in my intake.

image.thumb.png.6a6c62afa127a8d3f84d207168dddd2a.png

this intake has softened the blow of me falling out with my captain. I kind of lost my cool and fined him 2 weeks wages for yet another crap performance (5.7 this time).  He didn't take it well... so his days are now numbered!

image.thumb.png.2999b69bf9d2ee16ee49c2c218cf2979.png

Come on now Oscar, 5.7 isn’t really a quiet match is it? That’s just an awful performance riddled with mistakes :lol:

Decent looking trio in the prospects even if their personalities aren’t quite what you’d be looking for. I love getting the spine of the team sorted so it’s good you have got part of that with Young and Afful though with an asymmetrical formation like yours the concept of a spine to the team probably isn’t as evident as something like a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond, 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2

At least one of the trio is a right winger if Tami continues to spit the dummy.

13 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Come on now Oscar, 5.7 isn’t really a quiet match is it? That’s just an awful performance riddled with mistakes :lol:

Decent looking trio in the prospects even if their personalities aren’t quite what you’d be looking for. I love getting the spine of the team sorted so it’s good you have got part of that with Young and Afful though with an asymmetrical formation like yours the concept of a spine to the team probably isn’t as evident as something like a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond, 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2

At least one of the trio is a right winger if Tami continues to spit the dummy.

Tami is dead to me lol

Yeah, personalities are a little off but with level headed they are ok ish. Honestly I just want good CA at the mo as we have awful facilities and can't actually improve our players much.

22 minutos atrás, br00kster disse:

Getting nervy now after my past indiscretion, but a Parent Club to garner extra income (not loans) is acceptable?

If you dont get any loan players from them, you can.

@Neo_Geo congrats :applause:

Edited by The7Striker

1 minute ago, WhiteCat33 said:

@Neo_Geo what a return, congrats on the completion! Glad Malta was the break you needed to line up the perfect run. 

If my season were a trick shot in pool I feel it would be this
Trickshot Billiards GIFs | Tenor

Absolutely everything fell into place and Breinburg was in the form of his life (won the Golden Boot after my last post as well).

I think Wakaso would have been off at 2040 so I was running out of time as I don't think I had another defender of that calibre coming through. I was really fortunate Breinburg wasn't chased more in the summer and January window and when Bosma left last year Van Dijk stepped up and was more than solid.

Saying that I was still punching WAY about my weight but I think thats what this challenge is all about.

26 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

If my season were a trick shot in pool I feel it would be this
Trickshot Billiards GIFs | Tenor

Absolutely everything fell into place and Breinburg was in the form of his life (won the Golden Boot after my last post as well).

I think Wakaso would have been off at 2040 so I was running out of time as I don't think I had another defender of that calibre coming through. I was really fortunate Breinburg wasn't chased more in the summer and January window and when Bosma left last year Van Dijk stepped up and was more than solid.

Saying that I was still punching WAY about my weight but I think thats what this challenge is all about.

Breinburg earned eternal glory with that performance against top class opposition. Now what will be your Malta Trick-Shot!?!

XV8aIz0.png

2026/27 Midseason Review:

tluXtmJ.png

izx6Xxd.png

The bad form to close last season continued to start this season. Then our striker got hurt for two months. I still have hopes of survival, but it's going to be tough. The good news is we're at least turning profits, but barely. The loan payment for the stadium I inherited is killing our chances to get more staff or facilities upgrades. 

Intake Preview:

xUKS8om.png

I would love for the striker to be good enough to take over soon. 

16 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

1422631360_VVKatwijkLogo.png.1ca420d3038cf5ae1b42a42988cb6bc7.png

VV Katwijk Season 14 (2037/38) Season Review

So I came back to Katwijk, my chat with @thomas_eand seeing how he was losing his best players too made me snap out of feeling sorry for myself with the final loss and after 3 seasons in Malta I'm going to switch up again and keep going.

Competitions

Reveal hidden contents

Eredivisie

7 times consecutive winners and won it unbeaten once more
1088308119_CL_LeagueStandings.png.920f3a543acf3dc1d689fe283c06e8b0.png

Super Cup

Won the super cup again albeit on penalties after a 2-2 draw with Ajax

Dutch Cup

Won the dutch cup again for another domestic treble with a convincing 4-0 win over FC Groningen in the final

Champions Leauge

So the big question, did the squad manage to keep going with the progress despite losing Milovanovic over the summer?

Group Stages

Reveal hidden contents

311015396_CL_GroupStage.png.f0614fa248b38d6b0e680ed305dce208.png

Comfortable enough in the end but it included a 9-0 win over Roma (hence the remarkable goal difference!)

First Knockout Round

Reveal hidden contents

Drew Man City......again

Beat Man City.....again

2135384387_CL_ManCity.png.b06dd8761ae6740de9e7327162ee94ab.png

Quarter Final

Reveal hidden contents

Drew Atletico Madrid

1757280742_CL_AtleticoMadrid.png.aba75213a921def5c24eadadb8ac525c.png

Semi Final

Reveal hidden contents

Next up were PSG, lost to them a few seasons back so this was the big test

CL_PSG.png.dbab6fa005c4ad1ca8c900ad007425f8.png

By this point Breinburg was essentially a god!

Final

Reveal hidden contents

So back to the final once more to face Barcelona two weeks after the last Eredivise game, so what do I do?

I only go an arrange a friendly against Barcelona one week before the final that gets televised as well :lol:

I thought why shouldn't I scope them out in the best possible way given how close I got last season and losing a star player?

So the dress rehearsal went well
945956926_CL_RehearsalBarcelona.png.124943e00b2a346bee7d31cd68c6a44c.png

We led up to the final with no further injures although Telgenkemp (11EliteA) was just coming back from a 3 week lay-off so he wasn't quite up to speed.

So, did we win?

Reveal hidden contents

You probably guessed with the level of detail that we did indeed win and we won it in STYLE!

437173235_CL_TrophyTime.png.5fb3f7b3d4b3541d06110dc785cc78fa.png

1626374183_CL_MatchStats.png.4873ba0241bd41199421a9944ba6221e.png

A thoroughly deserved win with Thomas hitting the bar no less than twice in the last 10 minutes before netting the goal that killed off any hopes of a comeback.

Up 3-0 in the first 20 minutes and cruising, even losing Boukhari to injury didn't stop us from lifting the trophy with an all Dutch starting XI and subs!

For those that are interested I've uploaded the 11 starters and 3 subs that won it VV Katwijk Champions League Starting XI and Subs

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we broke the record for most goals scored in a season and Breinburg broke the record for most goals for a player too

CL_Records.png.81e08f9c622a40f395ccb7c03f273043.png

In terms of the Dream Team we also made up over half of it
1387270397_CL_DreamTeam.png.1e58be7e2d86d12562da05d5be5cdf49.png

Youth

Reveal hidden contents

The youth intake was probably one of the most low key of the save however it did give me a central midfielder that I have been looking for some time

2016561361_S14_Youth_1_IntakeReview.thumb.png.8843c866ee78c2bf906e22a4f366e96b.png

S14_Youth_2_Vrancken.thumb.png.4a42ab412025945112503e144c48c88d.png

Players

Reveal hidden contents

Breinburg continued to be the main man and holding onto him in the summer and January transfer window was pivotal in the success this season, just look at the stats!

1663747513_BreinburgStats.png.8d2f9441cee22fd918d1e003c8b50072.png

Had it not been for resting him in the Eredivisie games by not starting him I'm sure he'd have hit over 50 goals

I'm especially pleased the challenge is complete given the 

Club

Reveal hidden contents

Nothing changed with the club other than the planned training and youth facilities upgrades being completed.

Here is the club info at the end of the challenge

970974020_ClubInfo.thumb.png.d0ffda1e05bdcd7365ab279aeac42e0f.png

Manager

Reveal hidden contents

Having completed the challenge I also managed to top the Dutch Hall of Fame as well as make it onto the Scottish Hall of Fame in 10th place

2079364788_S14_Manager_1_Halloffame.thumb.png.966777de0a89929fe7a937110d9fbbc6.png

I also managed to stick the boot into Mark van Bommel once again as he was in charge of ADO Den Haag and I just loved beating him in this save, the guy is a tool

Next Season

Reveal hidden contents

Probably back to Malta now that I have laid my ghosts to rest

For the challenge completion here are my manager stats to show zero players signed in my 14 years in charge, if you need anything else let me know @darren1983

2111035023_CL_ManagerStats.thumb.png.78087a9a21f66063cbf31b767176c724.png

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge overall and I'm glad I went back for another crack at it as I was damn near done after coming so close. Quite fitting that the winning goal was scored by the same player that nearly won it the previous season.

In terms of the Youth Players developed the starting line up in the final was all made of players classed as Elite in the Youth Intake Review for that season with all but 3 subs, who were Top talents, were also Elite. In terms of NxGn you can see how we dominated it for the past few years
1668267834_S14_3_NxGnSinceStartOfGame.thumb.png.25c183c82a4672bdcf44c4907bf2ef58.png

Time to get back into the saddle in Malta!

Well done, sometimes taking a short break and returning can help, it did with my attempt last year, have added you to the HoF :applause:

image.png.a9e0d3f5acb1110fab588d8cf6bae6b8.png

AEPS Aiolikos Mytilinis aka Wind

2025/26 Season Review

Our first season in the top flight kind of blew, with us struggling to take a firm hold on games and generally scoring. We found the gulf between ourselves and the top teams was often massive, meaning there were a lot of one sided affairs which really affected our goal difference come the end of the season.

Greek Super League

A solid 8th place finish, despite an embarrassing -16 goal difference and total 27 goals scored. We had a really tough run during the season when an injury crisis hit and went on a 10 game winless run.

image.png.63c1f3d498eb04faf80278a087c82cd8.png

image.png.dbc42e5842e855cae8513064a56bf2e0.png

image.png.57213bdb706c3511299d92d4080acf2c.png

Greek Super League (Relegation Group)

Our survival was never really in doubt and with players returning, we gave a solid performance against the lesser teams in the league despite dropping a place in the overall standings (due to our horrendous goal difference).

image.png.25b3cb677875b77cba1be018f8f42ee8.png

image.png.4d66e9649bcd230703d909300185f91f.png

To really drive home our struggles this season, two players top scored with 8 goals (Bourous and Marakis), our top assist maker only managed 4 (Bourous) and our highest average rating through the season was our goalkeeper (Charalabis). To top it off, we're struggling to renew our better player's contracts without a low minimum fee release, so we'll be trying to ride their current deals out for as long as we can, although Marakis and Koutrobilas wanting new deals in Summer with a £750k and £1.5m release clause respectively.

image.png.543aee3eff020d097062696d3156e14a.png

image.png.1851252798c7b5dbd94e050a00e82f30.png

image.png.15bff7783523c2067cbe7b7d993faaae.png

image.png.e2f44bd39de7d22d4562f18ba20be8aa.png

Greek Cup

A poor showing saw us lose our first game in the Fourth Round against a much stronger Panathinaikos side.

image.png.631ab4c47d976fd49c5bddb4aa4f97f9.png

Youth Intake

My Head of Youth Development continues to do a stellar job, with a bumper Youth Preview.

image.png.00df3d7da81c6b16fd004cafd612448c.png

And while there were no real 'stand out' players compared to the previous intakes, this year's recruitment saw some much needed squad depth (although some decent Personality traits) given a few of our original players are slowly declining and on their way out. Next season is going to be very transitional given a number of previous regulars are leaving at the end of their contracts to free up some wage budget.

image.png.15bd187fa29a919d0eb923e21aebe9e6.png

The two stand out youth prospects are Kotsaris, who will hopefully not only give some much needed height to my small team, but will hopefully help in the goals department (already scoring 8 in 5 for the u19s), and Salapatas, who will likely join our CM ranks.

image.png.fd8191bd683a08da3daac052ac7e7a1b.png

image.png.54448de0f5faf363ba22b69603e91b7e.png

Finances and Facilities

Our finances are a mess. A real mess. Although we're still waiting for any sort of prize money for the league, despite us already paying out to the squad. This is despite an increase in TV rights, a sharp increase in season ticket sales and a partnership with Tottenham announced.

image.png.e804c3a5d922ed48485948d4b35ba719.png

image.png.6a83a848f89d6b0e223bd8ff0fa14040.png

image.png.e738545ea64af9783eac093f51d543b2.png

image.png.dabe4a5f6a0e90ab1e7cc34a0b421bc6.png

As a result, small (cheap) improvements were on the agenda much like previous years, which saw two upgrades to Youth Recruitment and surprising agreement to Junior Coaching. Our youth recruitment rose to 3.5 stars and we'll hopefully see some more talent come through the ranks soon.

image.png.13536326b14381706bfa6fa6a1f1bf86.png

image.png.e79a20c6eb316fac3be9509d980af912.png

image.png.a9d28382ab8faf6fb0317135b444c112.png

image.png.185d3481bef28ecedd0b9fc306e1c5fa.png

Despite our financial woes, our Board felt it was necessary to build a new stadium, although the financial implications of this have yet to be confirmed. This is likely a wise move given we top the average attendance by capacity in the league at 98%.

image.png.f3e14703b6da6a4b83e4e5ea26d856d7.png

image.png.fc6766f950e59f06b460268b6de45222.png

Finally, confirmation of no transfers made and one out. I tried to get some fees for other fringe players leaving at the end of their contract, but unsurprisingly no nibbles.

image.png.a26b08f61a702d7e36156f34d31a6adb.png

Up the Wind! On to season two in the top flight, let's hope we can see a few more goals.

rQpHIku.png

welp.

LhK4a6W.png

Didn't matter what I did formation wise. Talent was too poor, and lack of coaching/training due to the stadium financing meant it was never going to happen. 0-3 in England. I'll try again, but not next. I want to try something different. 

@darren1983

hello mate, just found this challenge and I'd be quite interested in giving it a go, but I do have a few questions:

since my favourite club is in the Romanian 1st div., would it be fair if Holiday Man would be on holiday until said club drops out of playable divisions?

alternatively, would it be allowed to play as Holiday Man and sabotage the club, playing 0-5-5 formation or something like that, intentionally driving the club to lower leagues? subsequently taking over as Myselfthemessiahsaviour ?

(given my past FM22 experience over a handful of saves, aforementioned club, FC U Craiova, currently is a yo-yo club, or, as we call it here ABBA - however, there's a nice story tied to the club, marred by corruption and treason) - (also, true story, they did manage to get back into top tier in reality, starting from 4th div and using mostly academy players up to 2nd tier)

I'd fancy being allowed to try it under these (negotiable) terms.

6 hours ago, Daddy said:

rQpHIku.png

welp.

LhK4a6W.png

Didn't matter what I did formation wise. Talent was too poor, and lack of coaching/training due to the stadium financing meant it was never going to happen. 0-3 in England. I'll try again, but not next. I want to try something different. 

Ah, that sucks, sorry! Board always quick to pull the trigger, short memories.

7 hours ago, Daddy said:

rQpHIku.png

welp.

LhK4a6W.png

@Daddy Sorry it ended it up like that, there's always that point where the save starts to be become easier (not easy) but you get into a rhythm and you get some momentum but its not always possible to get there before something like this happens.

England is definitely the hardest, I'm saving my main attempt for it for FM 23 I think (that or the ultimate challenge).

How about trying one I had recently been looking at (mainly because Qairat Almaty dumped me out of Europe - spolier), Kazakhstan https://www.fmscout.com/c-fm22-leagues.html?id=8230

It's a polar opposite from England as it only has two tiers.

It should be eligible as well since two teams get relegated from the First Division.

The schedule is similar to Scandinavian nations in that it runs from March to November (making it easier in theory to qualify but harder if you stay in Europe past the turn of the year).

Holiday to 15th December 2022 to get the change of season, here are the two teams that were promoted when I ran the simulation:

332192599_KazakhstanPromotedTeam1.thumb.png.e0c3bc33149c03d01856b4453678155b.png

1532390722_KazakhstanPromotedTeam2.thumb.png.371ad88ae47c4bfa2e3af7c0ab387239.png

6 hours ago, br00kster said:

Ah, that sucks, sorry! Board always quick to pull the trigger, short memories.

Well I got relegated out of the game lol. It happens.

3 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

@Daddy Sorry it ended it up like that, there's always that point where the save starts to be become easier (not easy) but you get into a rhythm and you get some momentum but its not always possible to get there before something like this happens.

England is definitely the hardest, I'm saving my main attempt for it for FM 23 I think (that or the ultimate challenge).

How about trying one I had recently been looking at (mainly because Qairat Almaty dumped me out of Europe - spolier), Kazakhstan https://www.fmscout.com/c-fm22-leagues.html?id=8230

It's a polar opposite from England as it only has two tiers.

It should be eligible as well since two teams get relegated from the First Division.

The schedule is similar to Scandinavian nations in that it runs from March to November (making it easier in theory to qualify but harder if you stay in Europe past the turn of the year).

Holiday to 15th December 2022 to get the change of season, here are the two teams that were promoted when I ran the simulation:

332192599_KazakhstanPromotedTeam1.thumb.png.e0c3bc33149c03d01856b4453678155b.png

1532390722_KazakhstanPromotedTeam2.thumb.png.371ad88ae47c4bfa2e3af7c0ab387239.png

England is definitely the hardest to break through. I actually have something different started up that I'll be posting soon. I have a few countries in game I want to try (or try again in some cases) before I start messing with downloading countries.

a62qhUZ.jpg

AI3PaGw.png

FM20 was my first time playing the game. I started with recently promoted Weymouth, got them to L2 before moving on to other games. I decided to check FM Reddit one day and saw the journeyman challenge and decided to buy FM21 and give that a whirl. I destroyed the finances of a Northern Irish team and was fired by a team in Ukraine. I was really bad at the game. My third team was where I figured it out. PSIS in Indonesia. I thought it would be fun to try the Youth Challenge in Indonesia. I don't have very high expectations of lasting long here, but for at least, hopefully, a few seasons it'll be a fun change of pace. 

Z7KrHVR.png

mOYtCam.png

The team is pretty bad with no real good facilities (other than a decent stadium). I had actually picked a different team first, but I guess they were too remote because I couldn't schedule a single friendly. 

Dan7Hi7.png

y4GWBFH.png

Intake happens in March and season runs from June to the end of the year. A big help because I don't think I'd have enough non gray players without it. 

fNwhzmc.pngMHYpKtu.png

8lNyHbr.png

6YcMZqL.png

This may be a one and done, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

All images

Season 2026/27 - Super League 1

A much better performance in the top division than last time, reaching the same amount of points from 33 games in just 7 games, despite losing the first 3 of them. Just need to consolidate a little before being able to bridge the gap between the top clubs and the rest.

104392269_2022-08-29(1).png.f9628ca3035c50fa7e732c01b2b8d6ac.png

1169392461_2022-08-29(6).png.966d5f47b2ebc1b9baf3b160b290b0d8.png

Finances are just getting worse and worse and and there's no letting up until we break into Europe which i dont see happening quite yet.  Rumours are that the chariman is thinking of moving aside so we'll see what happens in that space.

408705475_2022-08-29(5).png.759e467a8ac67fca16b217c648583a42.png

Despite having no money, was able to twist the Board's arms for some improvements and no have average youth recruitment and excellent junior coaching.

1249307204_2022-08-26(3).png.acb640393f314afde4392abd7eca2376.png

2022-08-29.png.e6ebed85969affb31f862eeb45fa9590.png

Somehow, my u19's won their league again which probably tells you about the quality of the opposition more than the quality from us. 

Youth preview was a good one:

2022-08-28.png.9402958a35bc2263e95652703211b54a.png

The intake was better than i have seen so far, slowly slowly I can see the benefit from the small improvements.  Problem we're having is due to the quality of coaching and training/youth facilities we're not really able to develop them much one they come in.

1697809897_2022-08-29(2).png.a1cc4e70c37af05bb8ef4baef2cb8491.png

Basina is the pick of the bunch and will be a straight starter next season.  We're losing two starting midfielders (one due to age the other thinking he's too good for us) so this couldnt have come at a better time!

89441474_2022-08-29(4).png.1d4f8274d9016d32da6a4ade8196f4db.png

Maybe a dumb question but why do you people edit the newgens names? I guess it is easier for you to identify their intake's year and so their age. But what about the letters? Is it really helpfull?

Thanks and keep on with these extraordinary saves!

Edited by Fugado

9 minutes ago, Fugado said:

Maybe a dumb question but why do you people edit the newgens names? I guess it is easier for you to identify their intake's year and so their age. But what about the letters? Is it really helpfull?

Thanks and keep on with this extraordinary saves!

There’s no set rule for it, but certainly the year or season helps you identify at the end of the save the players that came through for you i.e. what years actually were a golden generation.

In Holland I liked to include if there were elite, top talent, good or decent as it gave an indicator of how good the HoYD was at identifying the elites at the time of intake.

As for the letters I guess that’s just more about making them unique, but it’s maybe the part of it that’s least helpful.

On 26/08/2022 at 09:59, darren1983 said:

Firstly sorry for late response, am away currently so not really checking forums right now, but with regards to the question I've not seen or looked into the files enough to really understand what they do but if they change things like nations youth ratings then I'm leaning towards them not being eligible for this challenge. Unless @XaW has some experience with it and knows more than me I'm gonna say they can't be used for now.

Been away a few days, so I'm also late to this. If we were to allow any files, I'd say Dave's files would be the first, however, once we open up "custom files that change X, Y, and Z", then it would be hard to allow some, but not others. So I agree, Darren, I don't think these types of files are allowed, in the same way we don't allow the editor for other uses, even to fix bugs. The only custom files allowed are leagues created as closely as possible to real life, and with at least two tiers containing promotion/relegation.

4 hours ago, Fugado said:

It's just flavour, and completely optional. I personally use this format

<name> <year of intake><potential rating my assistant>

Ex:

John Smith 22b

So the best rated will get a, the next will get b, and so on. Just to see how close or off my assistant really is. It has shown me to be very careful to trust the stars. I've had 5 star talents become nothings and retire at 20 without a club, and 2.5 start talent players become mainstays in a world cup national side. So having a k or an m become great highlight this.

1 hour ago, Fugado said:

I also find it useful, especially deeper in saves when they're all newgens, to know which players are the youngest on my bench and on the field. It's easier to know who to give some playing time to for experience, and when a highlight happens you can see what class and rating they're from. 

3 hours ago, XaW said:

It's just flavour, and completely optional. I personally use this format

<name> <year of intake><potential rating my assistant>

i do the same only with my potential rating rather than the assistant. It's interesting to see just how bad my initial ratings of those intakes are.

It's also influenced me to not be too hasty letting young kids go with only 2/3 star PA as well

@Fugado I use the season number instead of the year, but the same idea. I tend to play in smaller nations (recently Malta & St Vincent) and the nicknames make it easy to see how well my academy is filtering out into the other clubs and bringing up the level of players in the league. Because of this I'll nickname and take all the way down to the trash players just giving them an 'x' suffix  when I'm in the later stages of the save where money becomes a non-issue. Also once you sell players it makes it easy to search them as you can type in "02a" and the player will be top of the list. Only downside is it can sometimes bug the kits of 1-2 players in the game engine where colors get inverted. 

1 hour ago, WhiteCat33 said:

@Fugado I use the season number instead of the year, but the same idea. I tend to play in smaller nations (recently Malta & St Vincent) and the nicknames make it easy to see how well my academy is filtering out into the other clubs and bringing up the level of players in the league. Because of this I'll nickname and take all the way down to the trash players just giving them an 'x' suffix  when I'm in the later stages of the save where money becomes a non-issue. Also once you sell players it makes it easy to search them as you can type in "02a" and the player will be top of the list. Only downside is it can sometimes bug the kits of 1-2 players in the game engine where colors get inverted. 

that's what screws up the kits? I've always wondered.