Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brez22 said:

I might or might not have just googled the national holiday provisions in the event of her death, shameful of me.

It’s a few years old now but this is worth a read. Not just on bank holidays but all the protocols and the sheer about of detail and minutiae that is already pre-planned

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

31 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

We might need a slightly more respectful thread title when the news IS announced, given that the press will be firing junior reporters EVERYWHERE to find examples of 'lefty shame as football gamers disrespect the Queen'

In all seriousness, will "Liz Windsor RIP" suffice?

maybe speculative as she's normally up at Balmoral at this time but I wonder if she's gone there because she knows there isn't much time left? always said it's her favourite place

not interested in the royals too much but I don't mind the Queen, losing Phillip has probably accelerated this downfall for her

3 minutes ago, TM said:

maybe speculative as she's normally up at Balmoral at this time but I wonder if she's gone there because she knows there isn't much time left? always said it's her favourite place

not interested in the royals too much but I don't mind the Queen, losing Phillip has probably accelerated this downfall for her

Almost certainly. IIRC she had no plans to come back to London.

Just now, Mr_Whippy said:

Do we get a day off/bank holiday if/when she dies?

Naturally it’s not good, but it’s what most people care about. 

The funeral is considered a "day of national mourning". Not a bank holiday. Although not sure there's much difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge#:~:text=As agreed by the Queen,gather in London and Windsor.

• Administrators
Just now, Mr_Whippy said:

Do we get a day off/bank holiday if/when she dies?

For the funeral, there's a national day of mourning, but discretion will be with employers. If its on a weekend or existing bank holiday then no.

I'm surprised the plans only have one day of mourning. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

For the funeral, there's a national day of mourning, but discretion will be with employers. If its on a weekend or existing bank holiday then no.

I'm surprised the plans only have one day of mourning. 

It's 12 days of mourning but only the funeral being an official day.

I think it effectively means there's a sombre period where not much is done, then the funeral, then back to normal.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There comes a point where with the greatest respect, you want someone to go in relative comfort and at peace while they have their faculties etc. 

I don't think that's the same as wishing someone dead, but hoping for recovery when someone is on EOL gets a bit delusional. People in that position can be hanging on just existing, not living. And that's not especially pleasant.

That's very true. My Mum has been on EOL care for over a year now and she's oblivious to everything. Sometimes she has spells when her health deteriorates, and then quite often pulls through. I don't follow the Royal Family but i'm guessing that the Queen is being treated for something and has had a deterioration in her condition enough to concern the Drs into calling the family. It wouldnt surprise me if this was terminal. But equally i wouldn't be surprised if she pulls through.

• Administrators
Just now, Drazkul said:

How long does it take till - presumably - Charles gets coronated? I'm assuming it takes a while to have everything planned. 

Can take a few months. 

He is still King in the interim, there just isn't all the pomp and circumstance of the big event.

Wills to be Prince of Wales too but that might take a bit longer.

• Administrators
Just now, skybluedave said:

What about the London Stock Exchange and UK financial markets? They shut?

Yep for the funeral last I read.

1 minute ago, mrw072 said:

That's very true. My Mum has been on EOL care for over a year now and she's oblivious to everything. Sometimes she has spells when her health deteriorates, and then quite often pulls through. I don't follow the Royal Family but i'm guessing that the Queen is being treated for something and has had a deterioration in her condition enough to concern the Drs into calling the family. It wouldnt surprise me if this was terminal. But equally i wouldn't be surprised if she pulls through.

Oh man, that's horrible. I'm sorry that you're going through this.

My mum went quickly in the end after a long time with MS, but we had time to get the closest family round when she died. I dread to think what it would have been like for my Dad had her death been drawn out over days and weeks. She'd had pneumonia and an overnight oxygen level drop; she was still breathing but other than that she was gone and was never coming back.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Can take a few months. 

He is still King in the interim, there just isn't all the pomp and circumstance of the big event.

Wills to be Prince of Wales too but that might take a bit longer.

That's not guaranteed.

It's in the gift of the monarch. So it will need to be decided by Charles.

Of course he may do that and I'd say it's more probable than not, but given that it'll be more than just him really, and the political situation being different from his investiture, then there is no guarantee that it will actually happen.

2 minutes ago, batch said:

But if she dies in Scotland she is meant to be buried there 

Nah, she lies in state in Balmoral for a couple of days and then they bring her down on the royal train.  Probably means the East Coast mainline being closed for the day.

Edited by Rob1981