The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JAwtunes said:

Those kits look nice.  Are you paying for a subscription or is that just using the free options?

I switched to Kit Creator a few months back and actually prefer the flexibility you get there.  It's not possible to quickly create kits for loads of teams but I prefer it when you just want to create a couple for your own team.

I'm impulsive so I paid for it lol

Ok, so I thought I would try Macclesfield one more time.  The thing is, when you have to holiday three years to stand a chance of getting them, it is random how good the squad is when it comes up.  This time, it is fairly strong and I have won seven of our opening nine games.  So no relegation this season.  So hopefully this will now stick!

z7qFsDj.png

Will the third time in Austria be the charm? Two short runs in FM22, so let's see how FM23 is getting along.

Tzk3Spe.png

Things started off well and have just been spiraling the last month or so. The team isn't necessarily lacking for player, but it is lacking for good players. A ton of injuries too are not helping matters at all. Other than one match where we got hammered we've been in all the losses until the end. I'm optimistic things will settle down to at least survive the season.

re0V9NN.png

The areas we are thinnest at, so that's a promising looking intake.

Aaaaaaand thats a wrap in Puerto Rico.

I was only able to add a player to my NACL registration, I wasn't able to submit the brand new registration for this season meaning the only way I can add new players is if I sell players already in the team and even then I'll be limited to how many I can add.

The league registration has been fine but the NACL remained with the same squad I picked last season and I had one space for my star graduate but I couldn't remove anyone.

Oh well,  I'll keep the save there for now just in case I've missed the point and someone more informed than I cares to comment on it.

I think its time to have a proper crack at England now.

For those who are interested here was the table and scores for the NACL group this season:

image.png.33e0ddd79d6879dcad2b4fc2081da99b.png
image.png.22999ccc0c8bb7c92412ea26d30a1d4f.png

Disappointing as things were going quite well.

Edited by Neo_Geo

2039330432_NeoGeoAppointed.png.2fcfcbdb1061380b3bff0e8b1112cb69.png
526421337_NeoGeoProfile.thumb.png.a8f62055f575c87f82bbd15aaf0983fd.png

Fancied going a team from Vanarama South, so its off to North London with Enfield I go.

Expect slow updates for this one with such long seasons and trying to get a formation that sticks.

106805.png.277609222d73c1282b9d3ae5789ed772.png

Jomo Cosmos - Season Review 2026/27

Manager Characteristics - Manager Attributes - Transfers - Fixtures 1, 2, 3

DStv Premiership - WINNERS!

table.thumb.png.6b9d30914ac528a81412caf0ca0d6eff.png

A quite unlikely title win and something I didn't expect at the beginning of the season.  We started the season with 4 draws in our first 5 games and our inability to finish games off was a real reason why the league ended up being really close because in 7 of our draws this season we conceded an equalising goal in the 85th minute or later.  Orlando Pirates were unbeaten until the penultimate game of the season when they lost to Golden Arrows who we then had to play on the final day and with goal difference we only really had to draw, thankfully they went down to 10 men and we were able to get the win.  Orlando probably had an underperforming season as they won the Champion's League and I expect the other teams to do a lot better too.

TotalEnergies CAF Confederation Cup - Quarter Final

We had a fairly easy run to the group stages through the three rounds you have to play and then we were drawn against decent sides in TP Mazembe and Pyramids.  We quite easily beat Mazembe and we dominated both games against Pyramids but somehow managed to lose both games in what were their only wins in the group.  Our reward for winning the group was Young Africans of Tanzania, we dominated both games and the xG on aggregate was 5.25 v 2.79 in my favour but the score was 4-4 with them scoring with the last kick of the game in the second leg to take it straight to penalties where we bottled it.  Disappointing as I think we could have at least got to the final.

MTN 8 - WINNERS!

In the cup competition that begins the season from the past season's top 8 in the league we managed to grab the first proper silverware of the save and give us a decent chunk of proze money too.  We had a couple of decent opponents to get us to the final where we played Sundowns, where they were probably slightly the better team but we came away with a 1-0 victory.

Telkom Knockout - Semi Final

Managing to get through two rounds with good victories we again had to face Sundowns who got their revenge on us, we went down to 10 men after 63 mins and we conceded the only goal of the game in the 88th minute which was typical of us this season.

Nedbank Cup - First Round

We first get drawn into this competition whilst there are still non league sides, so obviously we got Orlando Pirates who comfortably beat us.

Squad

squad.thumb.png.ba1ab94290ccbddd6e3f52a4a5817617.png

Morgan Mauku 26g had his debut season and played almost 50 games, doing really well on the whole but as happens with young keepers he did have a few shockers, it's nice to now have an actual talented goalkeeper.

Nkosinathi Clark 24d and Victor Shongwe 25b both had solid season as rotation options at fullback whilst Khaya Mashiane continued to be our best centre back and Siphamandla Ndukwane 24e really improving as the third choice centre back,

Matsi Sono had a decent potential final season, his physical attributes are deteriorating but he scored a pen on the final day that confirmed the title win which would be a nice way to go out.  Njabulo Francis 24g had a good season of development being the third option in DM and will most likely step up to be first choice next year.

Thokozani Shabalala had yet another storming season off the right wing, he always gets plenty of goals and assists.  Luke Mthimkulu 24a continued playing well but it's a shame I haven't managed to mentor his unambitious personality away.  Mfundo Smith 26f had a fantastic debut season playing off the left wing despite still being 16 years old, even scoring the winner on his debut in the MTN 8 Final.

Ayanda Kubheka had a decent goal scoring season but it took him a while to get going so he didn't hit the heights of last season.  Luckily to make up for that Gontse Molefe absolutely ripped it up scoring 37 goals and was undoubtedly player of the season.

molefe.thumb.png.edc8f1ac096743674b1dba801571703b.png

Youth Intake

1486776942_Screenshot(547).thumb.png.239c2aa06d54288b8b7256d00e4ce37b.png

On the face of it, not as much potential in the intake this season but I think that is actually due to the improvements in the players, so I have high hopes for some of this intake.

The best players from the intake are George Modiba 27aItumeleng Cele 27cSiyabonga Chauke 27f and the most exciting prospect is Siyabonga Silangwe 27b.

27b.thumb.png.ca263cbbb346694dfe7665bd2322c3db.png

Finances

finances.thumb.png.cf102d8b4a3051b616df9ee464b8adfc.png

We made great strides this season with our finances mainly due to prize money.  After we got the prize money for winning the MTN 8 I immediately asked for a youth facilities upgrade but since then I haven't asked for anything else, I am slightly reluctant to ask for Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment just now because it would mean we would lose a lot each month and I'm not sure how sustainable it would be.  Strangely we haven't had much interest in any of my players from abroad so I am making no income through player sales.  Our new stadium completes early into next season so I have to wait and see if that causes us to make more or less money.

992471483_Screenshot(549).thumb.png.38950aad0b77bdf774127f2e986d59fd.png

2119883946_Screenshot(550).png.87f46c4798076c2fd01058aa3ee14181.png

@ludakthats a sore one, did you set up defensively for the return leg against Man Utd?

If only you could use some of your amassed fortune to bring in some players……but that’s the challenge and why we love it.

Better luck next season, it feels like it must be coming at some point.

@Neo_GeoNah, I tend to play attacking football always. 

Never knew how to setup a tactic to defend properly in my early years of playing, and then I just gave up a long time ago. 

Although I know how to play without conceding a lot, I just don't wanna. 

7 minutes ago, ludak said:

@Neo_GeoNah, I tend to play attacking football always. 

Never knew how to setup a tactic to defend properly in my early years of playing, and then I just gave up a long time ago. 

Although I know how to play without conceding a lot, I just don't wanna. 

You have your footballing principles and stay true to them so when you do win it it will happen because you are better rather than being lucky or outfoxing the AI.

image.png.f1c4a356fcb5bb2ff3d7a4a0fd32b41d.png

A look around the world

So not really an update for my progress, but for a look around the playable leagues and how that's been going.

1696711423_PastJuplierProLeagueWinners.png.bb53a2d1c8d3fc2f5f1f01c46b2207b9.png

Belgium has seen a variety of winners in the first 10 seasons of the save. 5 different teams have won the Jupiler Pro League with Genk winning it on 3 different occasions being the most.

623960083_PastCzechFortunaLigaWinners.png.30e797188c29d0010ddbcaa58aa1b969.png

The Czech's Fortuna Liga has had less different winners, but while Slavia Prague have won 6 league titles, FK Třinec caused a shock by finishing in 2nd randomly one season.

1782262572_PastPremierLeagueWinners.png.c056b38a5fc86306d7a3e0a3734b4b5e.png

The Premier League has been shared by Liverpool and Man City. Both teams have won the league 5 times each.

706570758_PastLigue1Winners.png.787e859e7c58526df528c0e6a2b0cd16.png

PSG may have dominated the last 5 years, but they took 3 seasons to win the first season, with Monaco beating them both times. Marseille also claimed a Ligue 1 title, but PSG have claimed 7 overall.

1145173235_PastBundesligaWinners.png.f7f085da157dd2938df2f186d825d0f5.png

Bayern München are doing Bayern München things. They've won 9 Bundesligas in 10 seasons, with RB Leipzig in the 2nd season being the only team to have stopped them.

2069986510_PastSerieAWinners.png.bba03f76360e846840b986f8e816d12a.png

Italy has had 3 different winners in Juventus, Milan and Inter so far. Juventus might have taken 5 Serie A titles, but they haven't had it all their way so far.

553523608_PastSlovakFortunaLigaWinners.png.c620ec7b559e8b2006d0aa1499fdbad2.png

The Slovak Fortuna Liga has seen 3 different winners so far, but Slovan Bratislava have claimed the most titles with 5 so far.

778091577_PastLaLigaWinners.png.6b80a64f2e28fc9a4b0acf689225e69c.png

La Liga is the Real Madrid and Barcelona show. Real Madrid have won 7 of the last 10 La Liga titles.

1759208526_PastFavBetLihaWinners.png.f478dada14baf9b6a1f2564cb5264137.png

While the FavBet Liha in Ukraine has seen Shakhtar and Dynamo Kyiv share the titles so far, with Shakhtar having won 7 out of the last 10 titles.

I went into more detail of the last ten seasons for each country and the winners of the Champions, Europa League, Europa Conference Leagues, the Euros and World Cups in the video that will be linked below.

JLAB's YAC with Motor Lublin Part 28

AS_Livorno-logo-B50D08121B-seeklogo_com.png.d49871991f0de831e2d3bb97405b8024.png

So taking over at Livorno for this challange. Time to get this club in some sort of order. My first step was to look at the squad first impressions was it was not bad hmm then i saw i had a few aging players... its not a bad squad its workable i think...

HYeZPqv.png

The target for the coming season 

HYeysrG.png

Main aim of preseason was friendlies, tactics and getting staff in my main aim was getting HOYD in whos somewhat good to improve theses youngsters that im going to have to blood into the first team to replace the outgoing aging players. My biggest fear is that they all call it a day at the same time at the end of this season :lol:  

HYkneoJ.png

HYkTfhF.png

So i bought this guy in to help and devolp the kids. The friendlies went well unbeaten in all games. Although im not conviced defensivley about the team but i think its the players getting used to the tactic so lets see how well we are doing at the halfway point in the season im fully expecting a relegation dogfight so. Lets get the season klicked off

UaG2Ygk.png

2023/24 Midseason Review:
WecBZpH.png

I've actually played five more matches after capturing that screenshot because I was so certain I would be fired. Amazingly the board kept accepting my excuses and I finally snapped the 12 match losing streak, and actually won two in a row. How did we get here? There are actually a handful of decent players, but I both haven't figured out how to unlock them tactically and they constantly don't seem to play well together. I have a couple players that are good at the wing, a couple good in the midfield, and a couple good on the attack. I'll say six of the starting eleven aren't terrible for this level, but I constantly get bad partnership warnings on the tactics. They all seem to do their own thing which doesn't lead to many goals, and opens up the other team to our terrible center backs and even worse keeper. We're -3 for XG, which wouldn't make a huge difference. We're +13 on XGA which absolutely makes a huge difference. Survival is going to take a major turn of events. I'm just as likely to get fired before the team even gets relegated than I am to survive. Winning last two games gives a sliver of hope though. We'll see, I really want to make it because...

Intake Preview:

lYawNo0.png

Help is on the way. 

F1xgKG3.png

After, no lie, close to 10 of these emergency board meetings I couldn't talk my way out of this one. Went on a 5 match unbeaten run, with three win in there, but the last two losses were not great to fellow bottom table teams. I was close to figuring things out, but could not overcome possibly the worst keeper and defense combo I've ever dealt with. 

Still got England on my mind so I'll reload a bunch and pick a new team either later tonight or tomorrow.

a9NSgL0.png

AuepHid.png

VZNo2fw.png

We ride again. Somewhat decent starting facilities and not a completely barren squad. I wanted a team I hadn't seen used and these guys looked interesting. My biggest concern is just one keeper on the squad, so hopefully I avoid long term injuries.

m8KcIic.png

bA3iaM8.png

KfW10YW.png

Low expectations. We'll see what comes.

yeHR3B1.pngQ7lVfGa.pngDUu3rGE.png

I took the color scheme from the DB Editor, grabbed their actual kit sponsor, and made some decent looking kits I think (compared the last few attempts I've done)